We’ve all heard the typical urban myths – like the one that states mixing Pop Rocks and Coca-Cola will make your stomach explode. But believe it or not, there are quite a few urban pest myths out there as well. So, here is a list of our top 10 fun pest myths, and the real truth behind them.
1. Mice Love Cheese. Actually, mice like food with higher sugar content, like dried fruits or peanut butter.
2. Moles are Blind. Though you may be hard-pressed to actually find the eyes on a mole, they exist and they work just fine. Moles only use their eyes for sensing light, and rely on their other senses to get around.
3. Clean Houses are Pest-Free. If only it were this simple. Pests don’t really care how tidy your home is; they’re just looking for shelter and nesting sites, and those can be found in dirty and clean houses.
4. Bees Can Only Sting Once: It is true that honey bees are only able to sting once, however, other bees and wasps can sting repeatedly.
5. Rats are Dirty: Although you probably picture rats living in sewers and eating trash, they actually spend 60% of their time cleaning both themselves and other rats.
6. Adult Moths Damage Clothing: If you find adult moths in your attic, don’t panic. Your grandmother’s mink coat is safe, as long as their larvae haven’t gotten to it yet. Moth larvae are the true culprits when it comes to damaged clothing.
7. Boiling Water Destroys Ants: Dumping boiling water on an anthill or infestation will only kill the ants immediately exposed. By the time the water reaches the Queen and the rest of the colony, it won’t be boiling, and won’t be effective.
8. Bed Bugs are Only Found in Cheap Hotels: Unfortunately, as seen in the infestations in New York and Paris, bed bugs can be found in any hotel, from a youth hostel to the most upscale hotels.
9. Fleas will Die Without a Host: Unfortunately, fleas are very capable of living long periods of time without a host. They can even live dormant in a property with no other inhabitants.
10. I Can Take Care of Pests Myself: You may think you can get rid of pests more cheaply by doing it yourself, but you might actually save time, money and frustration by consulting a professional pest management company.
These are just a few fun pest facts that will hopefully give you new insight into potential home invaders. For more information on any of these types of pests, contact HomeTeam Pest Defense today.