There is nothing like a roaring fire on a cold winter’s day! But did you know that many pests feed and find shelter in the wood you bring in your home? The best approach is to minimize the opportunity for these pests to make it inside. Here are some tips that can help avoid pest problems:
- Stack firewood away from buildings – this discourages wood-boring pests, such as termites or carpenter ants, from finding a new home.
- Stack firewood off the ground if possible – it helps reduce moisture problems which attract pests.
- Cover wood during summer and fall – this will help keep the wood dry and exclude some pests seeking overwintering sites.
- Practice first in/first out – use the oldest wood since it is likeliest to have been infested.
- Eliminate surface pests – before bringing logs indoors be sure to inspect for obvious pests: shake and knock together to remove.
- Burn firewood immediately when brought indoors – get them before they get you.
- Never use insecticides to treat wood you plan to burn – it is dangerous due to harmful vapors and fumes that can be released.
Should you require pest control services this winter, contact HomeTeam Pest Defense at 855-855-4873, or visit www.pestdefense.com for additional information. HomeTeam would like to be your pest management service provider. Please join us on Facebook, Twitter, YouTube and LinkedIn for additional tips.