Subterranean termites are little wood and cellulose munchers that cause millions of dollars of damage every year. These termites live in underground colonies and build tunnels that look like mud tubes above ground. These mud tubes are just one sign of subterranean termites. Other signs of termites include:
- Live swarming termites especially near windows and other light sources
- Discarded termite wings in window sills, around doors or in the garage
- Termite damage! Look for damaged wood or hollow sounding wood when you tap on it
There are ways to protect your home. Termite protection methods include wood pretreatments and soil pretreatments during new construction. For existing homes methods include borate treated wood, liquid treatment and termite baiting systems. Termite baiting systems, such as the Sentricon Termite Colony Elimination System, provide peace of mind in addition for a way to monitor and eliminate termites. A qualified termite technician will come out to your home, inspect the property and install monitoring stations in the soil at specific intervals, depending on the manufacturer’s recommendation. In the case of Sentricon, the termite monitoring stations are installed approximately every 10 feet. A termite technician will visit your home every quarter to check all the monitoring stations for signs of termite activity. If there is evidence of termites, monitoring devices will be replaced with bait termiticide. When the termites munch on the bait and share the bait with the rest of the colony, the colony will be eliminated. Continuous quarterly monitoring is recommended.
There are ways to show termites you mean business and steps you can take to prevent them from munching on your home:
- Eliminate external water sources – maintain proper drainage from downspouts, repair leaky plumbing, keep sprinklers pointed away from the foundation of your home.
- Remove wood such as lumber, tree stumps and firewood from around the home. Stack firewood off the ground.
- Keep mulch and other landscaping at least two feet from the foundation of your home.
Protect your home from termites. Call a HomeTeam Pest Defense office near you at 855-855-4873 or go to our website for more information www.pestdefense.com. The only thing we’ll leave behind is a satisfied customer!