Now that 2012 is right around the corner, it’s time to make New Year’s resolutions. We thought we’d help you with a list of pest-free New Year’s resolutions so that you don’t get caught off-guard by any pesky pests. After all, prevention is a big part of pest control. No one wants creepy crawlers and potential disease carriers getting the year off to a less-than-stellar start.
By reading our blogs this year, hopefully you’ve learned a whole lot about pests; where they hide, what they like, and how to get rid of them. Why not take those lessons and use them to kick off your list? Our pest-free New Year’s resolution suggestions are listed below.
1) I will inspect my home to keep pests from coming in. Cracks, holes and crevices make perfect entryways for unwanted visitors. Be sure to check your home regularly for these passageways and block them or fix them to prevent pests from coming in. Don’t forget, doors, windows and chimneys should be checked as well.
2) I will keep living areas clean, and less frequented areas even more clean! Of course, you don’t have to tell us twice to keep our kitchen free of uncovered or improperly stored food, or to clean and vacuum the living room and bedrooms regularly. However, remember that places where humans don’t spend much time can also become breeding grounds for pests. Be sure to inspect and clean your attic and your basement regularly as well.
3) I will make sure my pets and their living areas are regularly inspected and treated for pests. Fleas are not only irksome, they can also be harmful for you, your pets and your family. So make sure that you check your pets for fleas regularly and take proper flea control measures such as treating your backyard and carpets, washing pet blankets, toys and bedding.
4) I will check inside and outside home areas, appliances, and plumbing regularly for standing water, dampness and leaks. Cockroaches, scorpions and mosquitoes love water, so keep bathrooms, backyards and kitchens free of pooled-up water, pipe leaks and dampness.
5) I will take measures during spring/fall cleaning, when putting clothes away. Every year, at least twice a year, you have to put your summer or your winter clothes away. Your storage area can become a place for infestations to occur. Be sure to wash your clothes before putting them away, store them in tightly sealed bags or containers and use cedar chips or other repellents to keep bugs away.
6) I will check old and new furniture, cars and bedding for bed bugs. With bed bug infestations on the rise, it makes sense to check items in your house periodically for signs of bed bugs especially if you travel.
7) I will make friends with a pest control company. What better way to prevent pests from invading your home than to acquaint yourself with a trusted pest control company?
Let HomeTeam Pest Defense help you ring in 2012. Visit us at www.pestdefense.com or call us at 855-855-4873 to start the new year bug-free. Happy New Year!