We all know the old saying, “April showers bring May flowers.” But did you know that April can also bring about the appearance of some unwanted visitors in your home? That’s why the National Pest Management Association has declared April to be National Pest Management Month.
During your typical spring cleaning, there are a few steps you can take to help prevent pest infestation, including:
- Seal up cracks and small openings around your home’s foundation.
- Get rid of standing water around your house.
- Cut back tree branches and bushes, keeping them away from the side of the house.
- Install screens on your windows and doors.
If you find signs of bugs around your home during your April cleaning, you should contact a professional pest control company. They can assess your home, and discuss the different types of pest control, including integrated pest management (IPM).
Integrated Pest Management
Integrated pest management is an ecological approach to reducing or eliminating the use of pesticides while managing pest problems. It focuses on the life cycle of pests and their environmental interaction.
HomeTeam Pest Defense has a 6-part IPM process. These steps include:
- Inspection: Seek out the actual pest, damage, natural enemies and environmental conditions.
- Identification: Not every insect is a pest. What type of bug is it and what kind of damage does it cause?
- Prevention: The best type of pest control is the kind that never has to happen. By managing the environment, professionals can help prevent pests from appearing in the first place.
- Prediction: By using their knowledge of identification and biology to determine whether or not populations will increase or decrease with time, HomeTeam professionals will evaluate the right type of control that offers the least amount of environmental impact or risk.
- Decision-making: Technicians will decide what type of control tools should be used to control the pest(s). It might be traps, altering environmental conditions, sanitation controls or chemicals.
- Evaluation: Over time, the technician and the homeowner should evaluate if the IPM approach worked, continually monitor and conduct follow-up inspections.
During your spring cleaning ritual this month, don’t forget that maintaining your house includes more than weeding the garden. If you happen to find evidence of potential pest infestation, contact a professional like HomeTeam Pest Defense to learn about your pest management options.