While June brings blue skies, outdoor living, family time, and great vacations, it’s also the time of year insects thrive.
Weather affects pest populations more than any other factor, and with the increased moisture this past winter and spring, entomologists are expecting surges in pest populations in most regions of the U.S. The National Pest Management Association recently released its biannual Bug Barometer®, a great resource to check the forecast of pest pressure and activities in your area.
Ant control is essential this year, and here are a few tips to help you get started.
1. Check our Ant Prevention Video – a 40 second overview of our top suggestions.
2. Clean and Seal. Ants need food and water so it’s essential to eliminate those sources. Remove crumbs and moisture, and clean counter tops, floors, and window sills. Keep kitchen cabinets spill and crumb free. Store food in airtight containers. Consider refrigerating fruit, which will also help discourage pesky fruit flies.
3. Repair and Close. The smallest opening can be an entry point for ants. Look inside and outside your home for any entry points and seal them. Check for gaps in mortar, warped siding, cracks in the foundation, and spaces around doors and windows.
4. Clear and remove. Walk around your entire property paying attention to where the foundation meets the ground. Move woodpiles, rocks and logs away from the house. Clear leaves and debris, and remove any standing water, which also helps prevent mosquitoes.
5. Ask for help if you need it. If you have an ant problem, don’t panic. It’s smart to get advice. 75% of DIY treatments don’t resolve ant problems*, and much of this is because it is important to know the species of ant you are dealing with in order to eliminate them. There are more than 12,000 species of ants, and some are much more difficult to treat than others.
To resolve your ant problems, contact us at www.pestdefense.com or by calling (877) 461-7378.
*Source: HomeTeam Pest Defense Consumer Survey 2012
Would you like to call 844.372.7552?×
Would you like to call 844.372.7553?×
Would you like to call 844.372.7558?×
Would you like to call 844-574-1561?×
Would you like to call 844-574-1560?×
Would you like to call 844-372-7552?×